In collaboration with the Office of the Vice Provost for Research at Rice University, R-STEM facilitates interdisciplinary collaborations, professional development programs and workshops for K–12 teachers, as well as collaborations between scientific and educational communities that integrate authentic research and practices.
If you have questions regarding any of our teacher or student programs, outreach events, or want to find out how you can get involved in supporting STEM in Houston, feel free to email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since 2006, R-STEM has proudly served the community of the Greater Houston Area through our various professional development programs for educators, research internships for community college students, summer enrichment camps for K–12 students, and STEM outreach events held throughout the year.
We believe that one of the best ways to have an impact on students is to reach them through teachers. As teachers gain knowledge, confidence, and expertise in their teaching, not only does student achievement increase but teacher credibility also increases. This map illustrates the number of teachers who have participated in our programs from 2006 to 2018, and which districts they taught at during their training.
Mission, Vision, & Objectives
The mission of the Rice Office of STEM Engagement is to build STEM knowledge, skills, and leadership by providing innovative high quality pre-K through career STEM learning experiences and enhancing the broader impacts of Rice University’s research.
The vision of the Rice Office of STEM Engagement (R-STEM) is that all students receive a high quality STEM education that empowers them to become the STEM leaders of tomorrow.
- Strategic Objectives
- Amplifying the broader impacts of Rice research and education by connecting Rice's faculty and staff with the Greater Houston community.
- Forming and leveraging collaborations among STEM organizations within Rice University and the Greater Houston Community.
- Creating leadership and mentoring opportunities for Rice undergraduate/graduate students and postdoctoral fellows that foster their professional development and strengthen the nation's STEM pipeline.
- Enhancing STEM education for students and teachers through innovative long-term professional development and inquiry-based STEM programs that inspire and nurture students' natural curiosity and interest in STEM through active learning with real-world connections.
- Conducting research on effective STEM teaching and learning and disseminating these findings broadly.
- Advocating for effective policies that improve STEM education at the local, state, and national level.
Sponsors & Collaborators
Special thanks to our sponsors and the groups that help make our programs happen!