About PATHS-Up Young Scholars
Precise Advanced Technologies and Health Systems for Underserved Populations (PATHS-UP) Young Scholars Digital Health Summer Internship is a three-week program for 10th and 11th grade students which aims to introduce them to digital circuitry, computer science, physics, and engineering research at Rice University and its practical applications in the health care field.
Students will work with and combine instruments such as pulse oximeters, accelerometers, GPS devices, speakers, and microphones to understand a major tenet of the research theme and construct an introductory device that mirrors the type of technology being created at the engineering research center.
Under the guidance of university staff, Houston area educators, and graduate students, participants will experiment, program, and tinker to gain a greater understating of digital design and the changing path of medical treatment.
Summer 2022 PATHS-UP Young Scholars Digital Health Internship*
This program is offered through a designated funding source to a targeted audience and is not open to the general public to apply. Prior programming experience is not required.
- Program Structure
PATHS-UP Young Scholars Digital Health Summer Internship is a 3-week internship for 12 students from select Houston Area school which includes:
- Gaining experience in engineering research, scientific writing and communication;
- Building a network of peers;
- Learning about various college pathways; and
- Focusing on programming and digital design and their relationship to healthcare.
This program is offered through a designated funding source to a targeted audience and is not open to the general public to apply. Please reach out to your school's PATHS-UP Young Scholars Digital Health Summer Internship representative if you have any questions.
- Benefits & Expectations
The expectations of PATHS-UP Young Scholars Digital Health Summer interns include, but are not limited to:
- Attending sessions each day for the full duration of the internship;
- Actively engage with other participants and program instructors; and
- Developing a smart watch using Tiny Circuits.
For completing all program requirements, participants will:
- Develop connections with Rice University faculty, graduate students, and Houston Area educators;
- Receive 3-weeks of hands-on experience of research conducted by the PATHS-UP engineering Research Center;
- Have networking opportunities with fellow students; and
- Be exposed to ongoing research and design that applies to medical treatment.
Please note: this program is offered through a designated funding source to a targeted audience and is not open to the general public to apply.
PATHS-UP Young Scholars Administration
If you have any questions about PATHS-UP Young Scholars, you can contact the program lead.
Associate Director for Math and Computer Science
713-348-8218 | firstname.lastname@example.org
*Program times, dates, locations, and compensation subject to change before the first day of the program.