Occupational Risk Assessment and Health History for all employees and researchers
Purpose: The Occupational Risk Assessment Form and Health History Form for all employees and researchers engaged in the animal care and use program and for those who work in laboratories or other research areas are used in conjunction to evaluate appropriate medical surveillance.
When working with research animals the following general considerations should be taken into account:
- If you have ever been diagnosed with or had symptoms of the following, you may be at increased risk of injury or health problems when conducting research at Rice University
- Skin rashes
- Glove allergies/rashes
- Muscle or bone problems
- Latex allergy
- Repetitive motion injury such as carpal tunnel
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Allergies to animals, animal dander and/or hair
- Problems with visual acuity, hearing ability
- Allergies to pollen, food, etc.
- Repeated episodes of diarrhea
- Family history of hay fever, asthma
- Drug or alcohol dependency
- Allergic skin problems, eczema
- Seizure disorder
- Splenectomy (missing spleen)
- If you are pregnant or if your immune system is suppressed, you may be at increased risk. Please make sure your private physician knows about your job duties.
- Current immunization against tetanus is recommended for all personnel handing animals (within last 10 years).
- Current immunization against Hepatitis B is recommended for all personnel working with human, non-human primates, blood, tissues or cell lines or otherwise potentially infectious materials.
Please complete the following forms for enrollment in the Rice University Occupational Health Program:
Part 1. Submit the Occupational Risk Assessment Form online.
Part 2. After completing the Occupational Risk Assessment Form, individuals who will have exposure to live animals, animal housing areas, or unfixed animal tissues will need to complete the Health History Form for Personnel with Research Related Animal Contact. Personnel not listed in those categories may also voluntarily submit the Health History Form for assessment. This form is a fillable PDF and should be saved to your personal computer or device. It may then be submitted to US Healthworks via fax or email.
Your personal health history information is private information protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). DO NOT SEND your health history form to anyone other than US Healthworks medical professionals!
For more information regarding safety at Rice University, including the First Report of Accident or Injury, please visit Rice Environmental Health and Safety.