Note to PIs: The following program summary is intended to be used for informational purposes only. It does not replace the sponsor’s actual funding opportunity announcement. Always review the most recent version of the sponsor’s full announcement to verify that the deadline has not changed and to identify the most current program requirements.
About the fellowship
The purpose of the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is to help ensure the vitality and diversity of the scientific and engineering workforce of the United States. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students who are pursuing full-time research-based master's and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) or in STEM education.
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident.
- Intend to enroll or be enrolled full-time in a research-based graduate degree program in an eligible Field of Study in STEM or STEM education (See Appendix and Section IV.3 for eligible Fields of Study).
- Have never previously accepted a GRFP award.
- If previously offered a GRFP award, have declined by the deadline.
- Have never previously applied to GRFP while enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Have never earned a doctoral or terminal degree in any field.
- Have never earned a master's, professional, or bachelor's-master's degree in any field, unless (i) returning to graduate study after an interruption of two (2) or more consecutive years immediately preceding the deadline, and; (ii) are not enrolled in a graduate degree program at the application deadline.
- Not be a current NSF employee.
October 18, 2021:
October 19, 2021:
Computer and Information Science and Engineering, Materials Research, Psychology, Social Sciences, STEM Education and Learning
October 21, 2021:
October 22, 2021:
Chemistry, Geosciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physics and Astronomy
$34,000 stipend per year; the institutional cost-of-education allowance is $12,000 per tenure year per Fellow.
Three (3) years.
Last updated: July 2021.